Sunday, March 16, 2014

And the world’s going to know your name!


 
My nephew, Yoeuhuang
 
What can Y actually mean? This question intrigued me for quite a while. It all started when my eldest sister had her first baby. I mean her only one so far. I was curious to know his name from the very beginning. My first question after her delivery was concerning his name. She winked and said it was already decided. To sustain my curiosity she just left with Y. “It starts with Y,” was the mystery for a dumber like me. I was restless because the only words that came in my mind were ‘You, Yourself, Yesterday, Yeller, Yeti, etc….

It was unfair on my nephew’s part because all sorts of selfish words were related to it. True to be me, I stormed in and demanded to end the mystery. She smiled and whispered, “YOEUHUANG.” For a moment I couldn’t move. “YOEUHUANG?”…. a word meaning ‘Prince Charming’ in Subba, our dialect. I was left with lopsided grin. That little boy chuckled as he sucked his mother’s milk.

Suddenly, the letter Y took a new perspective in my life. Maybe Y could be ‘Yours, Young forever, Yummy….’ We always take things our way and build up notion on anybody or anything. We exaggerate little things and think it as the only way but most often it’s in waiting and taking the other way round that can make us see the better things in life.


 
Life has lots of gifts and purposes. Who knows if I had not known Yoeuhuang- my nephew, my perspective on Y would have never changed.

Although I regret for not having been to write good essays with better Y words but nevertheless, I do now. A popular adage has it that “You maybe late but never too late for anything.” I look at my cute nephew’s picture and all I can say about Y is ‘Yield, yearn, youthful and Yippee....’ and many more.

5 comments:

  1. An interesting post. Keep writing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A cute poser he is. Keep writing. Loved it, Manie. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you both. Thank you so very much. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. beautiful and interesting. yup usually a simplest thing that we never notice when discover are sort of diamond's. keep writing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you, TashiP. Will surely keep writing. :)

    ReplyDelete